Rainbow Fish can make good tank mates with the African Cichlids. If you want to mix them with other fish, they need to occupy different regions of the tank so that they don’t enter cichlid territory. They tend to need a larger grain size on top of them and the digging nature of cichlids means you’ll have to be on the lookout for any exposed areas.eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'fishkeepingworld_com-small-rectangle-1','ezslot_39',125,'0','0'])); Plants often get nibbled in your tank, so they have to be able to withstand it. Your email address will not be published. The filter should process all of the water in the tank 3-5 times in one hour. the male I believe is raising the young Now by his self. Nimbochromis "Fusco"taeniatus. Have the tank gotta build a stand. These fish can make good tank mates with the African Cichlids and other fish species because they are friendly and easy to get along with. Males are usually more colorful than females; they need to be attractive to females when mating. Wide selection of species and sizes available for all types of freshwater aquariums. Read more…. Their active lifestyle makes them good swimmers, to the point where they can jump out of the tank; however, they probably won’t do this unless they get spooked or provoked.eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'fishkeepingworld_com-leader-1','ezslot_40',114,'0','0'])); Another thing to consider is their aggression. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. One interesting fact about the Leopard Bushfish is their behavior of tricking other fish in the tank to think they are just leaves lying around. During the search for food, they may dig into the substrate or dig up decorations in the tank. Laterally flattened, [Continue reading …], German Blue Rams are small colorful Cichlids suited to a peaceful community aquarium. ( Commercial stands are simply a desaster waiting to happen). There are well over 1500 species, many of which have yet to be discovered. We promote and sell rare. This way, they can easily get along well with the cichlids very well. Featured Fish Stock We love. Sizes usually range from 4 to 6 inches.eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'fishkeepingworld_com-narrow-sky-1','ezslot_23',119,'0','0']));eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'fishkeepingworld_com-narrow-sky-1','ezslot_24',119,'0','1'])); These fish are ideal for somebody who’s looking for a colorful tank. I still love keeping the fish from Malawi though I have read and studied all of the others. Most African cichlids kept in home aquariums are rock-dwellers. The zebras I totally expected to breed and they have inter-bred which as an amateur fish keeper intrigues me with the different colors and patterns. Hi Neil, thanks for your question. If you are raising them from fry, then you may have to wait a while before they start showing their colors off to their true potential. He is also a proud member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, the Marine Aquarium Societies of North America and the Nature Conservancy. To begin with, they like hiding especially beneath the rocks, small caves or in vegetation. Your email address will not be published. The electric yellow African is a small fish and much less aggressive than other cichlids. Please always ask a veterinarian for help regarding your pets. An experienced fish keeper shouldn’t have a problem looking after cichlids and will quickly discover why they are some of the most popular fish in the hobby. This list helps you find the top … The African butterfly cichlid originates from the rivers of Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone. Being bottom feeders, you can rest assured that your tank will stay clean all the time. These fish feed on algae and this should not worry you about cleaning your tank anymore. Their main diet consists of bloodworms, flakes, pellets and brine shrimp among others. The content of this website is not meant to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Johnstoni. Their bellies are a lighter... Zebra Mbuna aka Zebra … Giant Danios prefer living at the bottom or in the middle of the tank. Lake Malawi, Lake Tanganyika, Lake Victoria, West Africa, Madagascar, and other Old World Cichlids. Make sure they’re placed securely so they don’t collapse (you can buy aquarium-safe glue to stick your rocks together). Fish Keeping World is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and any other affiliated sites. This should not come as a surprise to you now that you know their origin and general behavior both in captivity and in the wild. While some of them like to feed on algae, others prefer insects and small fish. You can keep a pair in a … Most of the time, only one species of cichlid is kept per tank to avoid fighting. 2. All these features are included to provide places for the Flying Fox to hide in case of any aggression from other community tank fish. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us Ron. Hi Charlotte, Bristlenose’s make great tank makes for African Cichlids, and are also excellent algae eaters. Any thoughts? Red Cap. We’ve mentioned how there are lots of varieties of cichlids, each with their own patterns and colors.