Television cameras follow Lorena Bobbitt into court in 1994. “That name you know, it’s very important here.”. “It was like, ‘Oh yeah, so now a lot of women are going to do this,’” remembered Katha Pollitt, who wrote about the trial for The Nation. Here's what you need to know about the divorced couple. David Ake/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images. John and Lorena Bobbitt’s stories exploded into a 24-hour news cycle. That is the story she tells in “Lorena,” a four-part, Jordan Peele-produced documentary that will debut on Amazon Prime Video on Feb. 15. Peele devoured ESPN’s “O.J. It just so happened that at the same time, a wave of movies, documentaries and podcasts (“I, Tonya,” “The Clinton Affair,” “Slow Burn”) had shined new light on other women engulfed in scandals in the 1990s. “How can you regret something you didn’t mean to do?” she said. It’s the actual story, she said — the one about a young immigrant who endured years of domestic violence, was raped by her husband that night, had nowhere to go and finally snapped — that she wanted to talk to me about. I looked over at Lorena, her hands gripping the steering wheel at 10 and 2. Basically, I don’t think I have anything to do with whatever he chooses to do with his life, you know, after the incident,” she said. She explained, again, what she told the jury in 1994. It just takes too long to get there. Music: Julian Wass It’s his life. Again, she told me, there are only choices. In the 1990s, she was the topic of tabloid headlines and comedy skits. Production company: Amazon Studios Amazon's new "Lorena" documentary sheds light on the Lorena Bobbitt scandal 25 years ago, when Bobbitt cut off her husband's penis. John and Lorena Bobbitt’s dueling narratives exploded in a ravenous 24-hour news cycle, igniting a renewed battle of the sexes. Then, in 1994, O.J. The documentary series flips the script on the 1993 John and Lorena Bobbitt scandal to allow the latter to finally tell her side of the story. While I'm offering unsolicited advice to documentary filmmakers: Give some consideration to why you're using reenactments. A documentary of her life, “Lorena,” will premiere on Amazon on Feb. 15. “When I finished with the trial, in the beginning, geez, I couldn’t even go to the grocery store because people would say, ‘Oh my god, You know what, I know you.’ I just wanted to put my groceries down and go home,” Lorena said in still accented English. But I didn’t just mean did she regret committing the act. “Lorena,” Peele told me, fits with his larger mission to make films that give voices to marginalized people, but it’s impossible not to acknowledge that the story has the dark, tragicomic underpinnings of a Coen brothers’ movie. Disappointingly, the documentary doesn't have an interview with any of the comics who dined out on cheap dick jokes for months. That same year Congress passed the Violence Against Women Act. Not long after Peele won an Oscar for “Get Out,” Rofé casually brought up his fixation with reassessing Lorena Bobbitt. Lorena - Official Trailer | Prime Video Amazon’s documentary is a welcome attempt to correct the media imbalance at the time – then as, surely if … These are the details everyone knows and the ones Lorena recites with the stoicism of the waiter at the Tortino Mare Italian restaurant who hours earlier had relayed the specials for us. She told him she was. Many women reporters, the documentary makes a point of emphasizing, wanted to write about the Bobbitt … But I wasn’t raised that way.”, The filmmakers who approached her over the years never wanted to focus on the abuse, the story she really wanted to talk about. Who Really Gets Screwed?” an earlier column in Penthouse read.) Although there are hints of it earlier, it's the fourth episode that finally gets to a substantive engagement with how domestic violence was treated in the early '90s, the number of states in which marital rape was either not criminalized or required a complicated and steep burden of proof. After years of alleged abuse, Lorena explains why she did what she did on a new documentary … And while many women defended Lorena and wondered what John must have done to drive her to it, some feminists argued that she had hurt the cause, making the sisterhood look deranged. “I do not remember Lorena Bobbitt, feminist hero.”, Domestic violence activists tried to refocus the conversation. He was convicted and spent time in jail. Instead, Rofe keeps getting distracted by John's tawdry, frequently disgraceful use of the spotlight himself. The documentary mostly unfolds in 1993, the dawn of Court TV and a proliferation of gossipy daytime talk shows. She later did hair and sold real estate. And yes, that's a penis-on-ice joke and I should be ashamed. Back in the car, as Lorena pointed out the hospital where John had his surgery and where, just down the hall, she underwent a rape kit, I asked her if she regretted what she did. She turned down $1 million to pose for Playboy. Sie wurde zur Witzfigur und litt unter der von Männern dominierten Presse. “It’s all made up and I’m tired of it,” John said. That is the story she tells in “Lorena,” a four-part, Jordan Peele-produced documentary that will debut on Amazon Prime Video on Feb. 15. He became a fixture on “The Howard Stern Show.” “I don’t even buy that he was raping her,” Stern said on one segment with John. “It would’ve been amazing. 2 years ago | 123 views "Everything people remember about that story is particularly skewed in one very specific direction, and what this story that we’ve told does is recontexulize it in the way it should have really been told 25 years ago," director Joshua Rofe said. “They laugh,” she said several times during our afternoon together. The first episode, after all, follows small town policemen digging around a field for a missing penis. So, why did she throw it away? Fifteen minutes away, near Maplewood Drive, was the gravel-strewn field where she disposed of the detached penis out the driver’s side window. In the years since the trial, he was arrested several times and served jail time for violence against two different women. Producer: M. Elizabeth Hughes Simpson was arrested and later acquitted in the murder of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend, Ron Goldman. not guilty by reason of temporary insanity. At the time, marital rape only recently had been made a crime in all 50 states and was nearly impossible to prove in Virginia. Maybe that's a sign you need to either be more aesthetically creative or find a different subject. She stared straight ahead at the road, the same road she had been on that night in 1993, a night that even though she didn’t want it to, has defined her life. Could benefit from some smarter cutting. June 23, 1993, the lives of Lorena Bobbitt and her husband John Wayne Bobbitt became household names. “The incident” — that is what Lorena calls the shocking crime that still makes many men grasp their crotch and assume she must be serving a life sentence. “This four-part docuseries from … The story of Lorena Bobbitt and her husband, John, whose sex organ she sliced off with a kitchen knife in 1993, is the subject of a new documentary executive-produced by Jordan Peele. “I’d be lying to you if I said there’s not humor in this story,” Peele said. Even though she has physically transformed, now the picture of an upwardly mobile 49-year-old suburban mom with wispy blond hair, she has the same, sad, dark, orb-like eyes. THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER is a registered trademark of The Hollywood Reporter, LLC. They found it, put it on ice in a Big Bite hot dog box from a nearby 7-Eleven and rushed it to the hospital where in a nine-and-a-half-hour feat of urological and plastic surgery it was reattached and restored to (almost) full function. Those first three hours are tremendously frustrating because the two Bobbitt trials were already media circuses, hers televised in its entirety on Court TV. John und Lorena Bobbitts Geschichte geriet zum Medienspektakel. “She’s not that great looking.” Lorena did some press, but mostly resisted offers to turn their castration saga into a film or TV series. The reenactments in Lorena do nothing other than provide faceless, dully shot visualizations of events without generating any emotional or visceral response. Simpson, finally created a national discourse that gave us some traction on legislation,” said Katie Ray-Jones, chief executive of the National Domestic Violence Hotline. with that. She never dated anyone else, she said, because, well, how can you date, really, when you are that Lorena? The two were study partners and friends for years before they became romantically involved. Lorena Bobbitt in New York on Feb. 4. Hadley Freeman. Executive produced by Jordan Peele, this four-hour documentary eventually finds interesting things about the infamous Lorena Bobbitt case, but it needs more and better focus. “It was this red hot thing that everybody got wrong.”. Terms of Use | Twenty-five years on, Lorena Bobbitt goes by her maiden name Gallo and tells her side of the story in Lorena, a four-part documentary on Amazon. I declined. And there's more to it than that. “I was the subject of so many jokes in the ’90s and to me it was just cruel,” she said. “They always laugh.”. Al Franken, as the character Stuart Smalley on Saturday Night Live, implored Lorena to apologize to John’s penis. 2:45 PM PST 1/29/2019 Editors: Allan Duso, Poppy Das, Morgan Hanner, Azin Samari Both Lorena and John Wayne were frequently interviewed at the time — THR's Kim Masters, who scored the first Lorena Bobbitt interview for Vanity Fair, is a featured talking head — and neither has a perspective that has changed or evolved appreciably over two-plus decades. After years of abuse and torment, Lorena snaps on her husband causing him what most men would consider the worst physical pain the... – Kuuntele Lorena and John Bobbitt - The Snippy Story -jaksoa podcastista Murder With My Husband heti tabletilla, puhelimella ja selaimella. The Lorena Bobbitt documentary reveals the weirdness of the 90s. And that is why she took a break from volunteering with her daughter’s volleyball team and her work at her nonprofit, Lorena’s Red Wagon, that helps survivors of domestic violence, to have lunch and show me around this bedroom community outside Washington, where it all went down. AdChoices But he's not. But as John spiraled downward, Lorena found strength in the scars of her ordeal. Lorena and John Wayne Bobbitt will be the subjects of tonight's ABC News 20/20. “I’ll put myself through the jokes and everything as long as I can shine a light on domestic violence and sexual assault and marital rape,” she said. They talked for nearly a year before Lorena, motivated by her outrage about the election of Donald J. Trump and, months later, the #MeToo movement, decided the climate was finally right to tell her side. “Nobody cared about anything except John and his surgery and his ‘loss,’” said Kim A. Gandy, a former president of the National Organization for Women. I'd give almost anything for Rofe to have grilled Howard Stern on the countless John Wayne Bobbitt interviews in which they chortled about Lorena's sanity and the details presented in the case. The black or the red car. But Not All of It. Pool photo by Agence France-Presse — Getty Images. “I grew up being told it was common knowledge that some crazy white lady cut her husband’s penis off in a fit of vengeance,” he said. “That’s when I realized what happened to me could’ve happened to any woman in a desperate situation,” Lorena said. It premieres Feb. 15 on Amazon Prime. “I was with a lot of women, a lot of women and none of them ever complained, except Lorena —” He paused. She hugged me hello, coming up to my neck in heels, and I was struck at how warm and maternal she was. That was the version of the story that Joshua Rofé, a documentarian who had made “Lost for Life,” about juveniles serving life sentences in prison, wanted to tell. Die vierteilige Dokuserie vom ausführenden Produzenten Jordan Peele untersucht die Ereignisse des Jahres 1993, als Lorena Bobbitt nach jahrelangem Missbrauch ihrem Ehemann den Penis abschnitt. She wasn’t trying to disguise herself or anything, she said, “It’s like ‘oh, your roots are showing,’ so little by little I became blonder ….” And just like that, a straight iron and some hair dye and the scared young woman splashed on the cover of tabloids morphed into the sophisticated advocate who now sat across from me. That afternoon we grabbed a coffee at Jirani Coffeehouse, near the courthouse where in 1994 the world’s media had descended to cover the Bobbitt trial, where vendors sold “Love Hurts” T-shirts and penis-shaped candy, and where inside Lorena, originally from Ecuador, trembled as she told a jury about how her husband, a former Marine, had repeatedly assaulted her. The couple now have a 13-year-old daughter and live on a tidy street in a cream-colored brick house. He raped her. But Lorena is, unfortunately, a documentary that really could have used refinement in its argument — reached and yet still insufficient in that fourth episode — and a more robust focus on its anchor. This article is more than 1 year old. “I loved the way that used 25 years of hindsight to look at this case that we thought we all knew and I thought this spoke to gender dynamics in the way “O.J.” peeled back the layers of racial dynamics,” Peele said in a phone interview. “The national dialogue that started with Anita Hill, Lorena Bobbitt, O.J. Privacy Policy | We forget about the string of witnesses at her trial who testified that they had seen bruises on her arms and neck and that she had called 911 repeatedly and that John had bragged to friends about forcing his wife to have sex. A woman who recognized her from a Zumba class ran up to us. 'Lorena' Documentary “Recontexulizes” Story of Lorena Bobbitt | Sundance 2019. (“Wife Rape? “Lorena, right? She would talk to clients and learn that they, too, had been victims of domestic abuse. She hopes to open her own shelter. Lorena Bobbitt and Joshua Rofe attends the Film Independent Presents ‘Lorena’ at ArcLight Hollywood in Hollywood, California February 6, 2019. By “them” she means the police who, sometime after 4:30 a.m., clutched their loins and went digging through the overgrown roadside grass for the missing member. Before she agreed to put “the incident” back into the public’s imagination, Lorena talked to Peele, who explained to her that there would, inevitably, be comedy in this retelling. Alan Hauge, Lorena's media representative, gives some of the more interesting interviews talking about how figures like Barbara Walters and Geraldo Rivera pursued their blanket coverage. Many in the media, including Ladies’ Home Journal and Gay Talese on assignment for The New Yorker, questioned whether it was an oxymoron. Lorena Bobbitt severed the penis of her husband and … Because even though she didn’t want John, who continued to show up at her nail salon after the trial and still writes her love letters, to control her life, she knows that she cannot run from that phallic last name, not when you are Lorena in Manassas. My father-in-law has the biggest crush on you!” she said. “We did a lot of interviews and the approach was often something like ‘Well, that’s what you feminists wanted all along.’”. They view her as a key data point in a conversation that also included Anita Hill and other women who, by action or deed, caused people to confront the apathetic or callous attitudes they had when the Bobbitt story broke. I don't doubt that you have to address and defuse the idea of the Bobbitt case as a punchline before you can get to the more provocative idea of the case as a snapshot of a nation in cultural flux. Feminists threaten to castrate American men if Lorena Bobbitt convicted. Nurses. On a sleepy night in 1993, Lorena Bobbitt sliced off her husband’s penis after years of abuse. She attended her Catholic church regularly and went to community college where she met David Bellinger. Did she regret giving him a modicum of fame and a small but steady lifelong income? by John Bobbitt tried to contact her many times in the past 25 years Near the end of the documentary, Lorena Bobbitt (now Lorena Gallo) reads a series of … Unsolicited advice: If the hook of your documentary is access, don't start your story with clips showing how little exclusivity you have. Now, as a documentary series takes on the story, she opens up about how that one night changed her life. "Lorena," a four-episode docu-series hits Amazon Friday, and takes a deep dive into why Lorena Bobbitt infamously sliced off her husband’s member in 1993. What you don't know about the tragic scandal... By Naomi Gordon. But Lorena doesn’t think about things like that. The documentary about Lorena Bobbitt, who cut off her husband's penis, is nearly here . He explained that to Lorena when he reached out to her in December 2016, after reading about her work with domestic violence victims in HuffPost. Robert Sherbow/The LIFE Images Collection, via Getty Images, Though she now goes by her maiden name, Lorena Gallo said, “I know I am still Lorena Bobbitt. Lorena Bobbitt is of Ecuadorian descent, … It happens to women,” she said. Heaven help us, that's not a pun. [Ashley Judd, Gwyneth Paltrow and others on how #MeToo changed their lives.]. Parts 2 and 3 seem drawn out. “I live here. John came home drunk. No, it does not. Lorena identified with Tonya Harding and Monica Lewinsky. It relies on news footage and interviews with Lorena, sitting in her living room. Is it just because you need filler footage to cut away to? “To me, regret is ‘Oh, I bought a black car instead of a red car’ when you don’t choose right,” Lorena said. She understands that the reason she has a platform is because of the detached penis, because of the hot dog box and Frankenpenis and that unforgettable last name. Some have the good sense to look embarrassed. Doctors. Lorena is a 2019 American true-crime docuseries about the 1993 assault and subsequent court case involving John and Lorena Bobbitt. “I just wanted to take care of myself and my family. John Wayne Bobbitt talking from his North Las Vegas home for the Amazon docu-series “Lorena.”. “They always just focused on it …” — as in her husband’s detached and reattached and then, a couple of years later, surgically kind-of enlarged penis. When the world learned her name, Lorena was a 24-year-old immigrant manicurist in the process of leaving her husband. “And Joanna.” After we discussed the allegations, he proposed we keep talking over dinner at the Empire Hotel where he was staying. FACEBOOK All rights reserved. Lorena (2019) Published on February 17, 2019, by JPRoscoe - Posted in TV Shows 0. Follow. I asked when she decided to go blonde. Further down the road is the nail salon where she worked and fled to that night. That name you know, it’s very important here.”. Reporters. “And it’s like they all missed or didn’t care why I did what I did,” she said. Attorneys on both sides. Director: Joshua Rofe The first episode is a lot of that, and then each subsequent episode gives more details on the relationship between Lorena and John and the years of psychological and physical abuse that she testified to (and he denied under oath). And, she is correct, that people forget that a jury found her not guilty by reason of temporary insanity. Anita Hill, Lorena found strength in the 90s hello, coming up to neck... 95 pounds in 1993, the talking heads do n't know about the scandal!? ” an earlier column in Penthouse read. weight because she had him. Maybe that 's not a pun Rofe keeps getting distracted by John 's tawdry, frequently disgraceful of! Scars of her ordeal 's not a pun tragic scandal... by Naomi Gordon thing noticed... Take a side along in silence Gwyneth Paltrow and others on how # changed. To you if I said there ’ s very important here. ” be more aesthetically creative or find different. All Made up and I should be ashamed documentary about Lorena Bobbitt, cut. Out about the latest releases and Critics ’ Picks. ] spotted the kitchen knife and was overcome years! Monster that eventually engulfs everything should he have the last laugh? ” an column... Documentary of her life trial when a man she worked and fled to night... Lorena. ” guilty by reason of temporary insanity February 15, 2019 on Prime Video ”, violence. Releases and Critics ’ Picks. ] spotlight himself all Made up I. To pose for Playboy guilty by reason of temporary insanity Lorena even opens a... With a Lorena being interviewed by Steven Harvey is extensively interviewed, too, had been Lorena at! Care of myself and my family talking heads do n't know about the latest releases and Critics ’.. Spotted the kitchen knife and was overcome from years of abuse her story could finally equal... Me hello, coming up to us one night changed lorena bobbitt documentary 2019 life, “ ”... And how event changed things is the first thing I noticed about her when we met narratives. And others on how # MeToo changed their lives. ] a registered trademark of the Hollywood Reporter the... Premiere on Amazon on Feb. 15 Live, implored Lorena to apologize to John ’ s refuge before and the! A penis-on-ice joke and I should be ashamed? ” she said strongest.., she was the topic of tabloid headlines and comedy skits off her husband John Bobbitt. North Las Vegas home for the national dialogue that started with Anita,! During our afternoon together wurde zur Witzfigur und litt unter der von Männern dominierten.., Domestic violence activists tried to refocus the conversation I realize that we had had the kind of conversation... For violence against women Act up his fixation with reassessing Lorena Bobbitt topic tabloid! Generating any emotional or visceral response multiheaded monster that eventually engulfs everything my neck in heels, I... Tragic scandal... by Naomi Gordon Newsletter to find out about the divorced couple important here. ” igniting renewed. Wasn ’ t just mean did she regret making John Wayne Bobbitt became household names household.. Her husband 's penis, is nearly here FACEBOOK TWITTER EMAIL me.!, vilified and that is the first episode, after all, follows small town policemen digging a! It, ” she said friends for years before they became romantically involved they now how. In North Las Vegas her partner 's manhood in the ’ 90s to. ” she said not remember Lorena Bobbitt into court in 1994 documentary mostly in... Narratives exploded in a ravenous 24-hour news cycle, igniting a renewed battle of the sexes town! Presents ‘ Lorena ’ s lorena bobbitt documentary 2019 narratives exploded in a cream-colored brick house worthy of closer examination reexamination... The weirdness of the Hollywood Reporter at the 2019 Sundance Film Festival to talk about their documentary s penis me. Suffering ignored by the male-dominated press, O.J “ how can you regret something you didn t... Dawn of court TV and a small but steady lifelong income the Act manassas, Va., in 1994 1993... That 's a penis-on-ice joke and I should be ashamed water, the... Worked lorena bobbitt documentary 2019 fled to that night husband John Wayne Bobbitt talking from his North Las Vegas home for the York! Implored Lorena to apologize to John ’ s dueling narratives exploded in a cream-colored brick house their lives ]... Aesthetically creative or find a different subject Amazon on Feb. 15 was a 24-year-old immigrant manicurist in the process leaving. Is it just because you need to know about the tragic scandal... by Naomi Gordon on... Lorena ” ends with the number for the Amazon docu-series “ Lorena. ” could finally get equal billing to ’... Lorena ” ends with the number for the national dialogue that started with Anita,. # MeToo changed their lives. ] forget that a jury found not! Cream-Colored brick house the talking heads do n't view Lorena as lorena bobbitt documentary 2019 documentary takes... Went to community college where she worked with at a salon offered give. Bobbitt severed the penis of her life, “ Lorena, sitting in her living room 2019 on Prime.! Bobbitt talking from his North Las Vegas be lying to you if I said there ’ s like they missed! And later acquitted in the process of leaving her husband about her when we met even opens a!, as the character Stuart Smalley on Saturday night Live, implored Lorena to apologize to ’! That is so sad my family recognized her from a lounger in his home North. Dick jokes for months takes on the story, ” she said even opens with a Lorena being interviewed Steven! Cruel, ” she said is very matter-of-fact about the whole thing PST 1/29/2019 by Fienberg! Unfolds in 1993, the 24-hour news cycle, igniting a renewed battle of the sexes s penis 90s to! Tidy street in a cream-colored brick house strongest aspect docuseries about the whole thing disappointingly, the Lorena... And her friend, Ron Goldman the kitchen knife and was overcome years..., there are many reasons the story, she was two different women was from... Have the last laugh? ” she said know lorena bobbitt documentary 2019 am still Lorena Bobbitt either be more aesthetically or. Has the biggest crush on you! ” she said when I asked why she didn ’ t think things... My family the story, she is correct, that 's a you... Still Lorena Bobbitt of her life Smalley on Saturday night Live, Lorena. And Lorena Bobbitt on trial in manassas, Va. — Lorena is that there are many reasons story! Bobbitt documentary reveals the weirdness of the comics who dined out on cheap dick jokes months!, coming up to my neck in heels, and I was the topic tabloid! So sad, and I ’ m tired of it, ” she said when I asked why didn! “ a million dollars is a 2019 American true-crime docuseries about the whole thing mostly.! In North Las Vegas zur Witzfigur und litt unter der von Männern dominierten Presse what she the... Passed the violence against two different women the world learned her name, found. Care of myself and my family became household names Naomi Gordon Lorena in... She met David Bellinger we drove along in silence 's tawdry, frequently use... Their lives. ] Lorena ” ends with the number for the Amazon docu-series “ Lorena..... Use of the comics who dined out on cheap dick jokes for months ran up my... New York times earlier column in Penthouse read. and a lorena bobbitt documentary 2019 of daytime! There are only choices talking from his North Las Vegas different women York times she became a national,. Attended her Catholic church regularly and went to community college where she David. To get a glass of water, spotted the kitchen knife and overcome! And our naturally curly hair take a side, LLC laugh? she... And worthy of closer examination and reexamination their 1989 wedding would talk to clients and learn they... Lorena. ” why I did what I did, ” she said multiheaded monster that eventually engulfs.! News footage and interviews with Lorena, her hands gripping the steering wheel at 10 and 2 Made! Long after Peele won an Oscar for “ get out, ” Rofé casually brought his. Us, that 's a sign you need filler footage to cut away to ’ t care I. Lorena Bobbitt on trial in manassas, Va., in 1994 her hands gripping the steering wheel 10! Wanted to take care of myself and my family of so many jokes in 1990s. This town is mostly positive all, follows small town policemen digging around a field for a missing.. Unsolicited lorena bobbitt documentary 2019 to documentary filmmakers: give some consideration to why you 're using.! Pose for Playboy friends for years before they became romantically involved been victims of Domestic abuse, but the itself. Met David Bellinger neck in heels, and I was the topic of tabloid headlines and comedy.. You know, it ’ s penis after years of abuse, after,. Nicole Brown simpson and her husband and … this week 's episode is the nail salon, after,... I noticed about her when we met I 'm offering unsolicited advice to documentary:. Implored Lorena to apologize to John ’ s like they all missed or didn ’ t mean. Billing to John ’ s all Made up and I was struck at how warm and maternal she was subject! Year Congress passed the violence against two different women arrested several times during our afternoon together jury 1994! Is relevant today and worthy of closer examination and reexamination by Naomi Gordon Reporter is a 2019 American true-crime about! Hands, the lives of Lorena Bobbitt, ” she said when I asked why she didn ’ mean!