Then again from noon to 2 pm., and at sunset. I switched out the stock plugs for MinnKota Adapters. New rules and fees will be in effect. I prefer trolling. This area is rich with incredible sights and history. Solid advice. When the fish are thick in numbers in shallow waters, I like to flat line troll. From the local fishing report to tips and tricks from our staff, sign up to recieve the latest information from the Reno Fly Shop. Come the prespawn, the stalky remains play big for staging bass. Anglers who don’t think of shallow crankbaits as a good choice for cold water are mistaken. Pro angler Andrew Upshaw breaks down the difference between lure colors chrome and white, and he shares the times when each works best. With padded chairs, extra rod racks and cup holders. There are several places in the Reno valley to find the latest tackle and gear that works out at Pyramid Lake. Almost every angler uses a smartphone to capture trophy shots. The Kingfisher is a manual downrigger with a fast 2-ft.-per-turn retrieval rate and a smooth one- hand operation clutch system for a controlled descent. For any angler who has ever fished there, you know what I mean. Single hooks work best. Simplified Senko Solutions You Need to Know, Book Review: Pier Fishing In California, 2nd Edition, Product Review: Groove Life Silicone Ring, Product Review: Standard Horizon HX870 Floating Handheld VHF Radio, Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe Museum and Visitors Center, Scotty Depthmaster 1050 Manual Downrigger, Targeting Bass: Effective Frog Lures and Tips, Small crankbaits can heat up cold water fishing, Tackle Tip Tuesday: Jocumsen customizes a spinnerbait, The Essential Trout Lure: The Marabou Jig, Why Panguitch Lake Should Be Your Next Fishing Adventure. There are some places where the drop-offs are right next to shore and ladders are not needed. Others look downright tasty and provoke killer strikes at variable speeds up to 3 m.p.h.! Depending on exactly … I like to use nitryl gloves when handling the cutthroat. 1. The Paiute people called themselves “Numu,” or “The People.”  They are deeply grounded in their environment. We call these “follows” and they are very common at Pyramid Lake. Some lures look sexy between 1-2 m.p.h. My favorite, Cabela’s, is located just outside Reno on I-80 in Verdi. Try to keep your fish in the water after netting. I’ve also seen some anglers casting small swimbaits. This will help complete your gameplan for a successful fishing trip. I'm always very excited to share experiences with you, as well as real-world gear reviews and other outdoor related activities. Ladders are a tool that we use out at Pyramid Lake, and just like any tool they serve a specific purpose. Specifically during the spring season, as temperatures rise and people come out from hibernation and begin lining up awaiting their chance to land a truly monstrous trout. But as always my mind is focused more on how I can minimize the LCT’s ability to see me or my clients. Lastly, there are times that I will also use them for comfort purposes or when physical assistance is needed for a client with impairment to mobility or health. And as always, please send me your feedback. Use Permits The slot limit for Pyramid Lake requires cutthroat trout under 17 inches and between 20 and 24 inches be immediately released. It has a faster retrieve and more lifting power than any other downrigger available. The lake offers anglers miles upon miles of easily accessible waters to fish. Ladder fishing has evolved over 40 plus years of fly fishing at Pyramid lake. Within the pages of our website, you will find an abundance of information including our Guide Service, DIY trips, gear you need, places to stay, how to get licenses … But most people flock to Pyramid Lake because it's a premium fishery, home of the world record Lohanton … The lake will be opening on November 2nd for the season. Turn left onto Nevada 447 and drive 16 miles to Nixon. Rangers routinely check the boat and shore anglers and ask anglers to show them lures and flies being used. There is usually a break at about 20 feet that indicates a shallow shelf along most of the western shoreline. Even apex predators are spooked by movement or figures outside of the water as that is their primary source of predation from humans and Pelicans. Today you can catch Cutthroat trout of over 20 lbs on a fly rod from a ladder. In the winter months, troll at slower speeds. I consistently run three setups for trolling Pyramid Lake. For floating lines and indicator fishing use a variety of midges, such as a Snowcone, and/or a balanced leech in black, white, or olive. So unless you’re stuck in the snow, the reasons to not fish the lake are dwindling. Jigging can be very useful once you discover the schools of Tui Chub. Anglers would tie floating duck decoys to keep track of the submerged milk crates. Also, trout don’t always feed the first time they see a prey item (fly). Keep your trophy shot sessions brief. Each downrigger in the 1116 Propack includes 250 ft. of stainless-steel premium downrigger cable, dually adjustable rod holders and an electric cord plug and boat socket. I’ve battled some waves getting back to the launch more than I care for. Pyramid Lake is located in a remote desert area thirty-five miles northeast of Reno, Nevada. Lyman Lures have caught a lot of fish for over 70 years, making this unique fishing lure a staple in my tackle box. There are periods when the trout seem to be more active. Lake Information. Pyramid Lake fishing calls for a wide variety of fishing tackle, our Charter prefers Apex Lures, but you may also find a Flatfish or Kastmaster at the end of your line. The fish will push through. The lake is about fifteen miles long and eleven miles wide. Presidents, movie stars, and people who just want to catch fish go to Pyramid Lake for really large cutthroat trout. I caught the bug years ago using a little Cannon Mini Downrigger. It includes a durable 2-ft. Superglas arm for weights up to 12 lbs., a single rod holder, deck mounting plate, line release, 200 ft. of premium-grade, 195-lb. Pyramid Cutthroat Outfitters is a Fly fishing guiding service on the beautiful and mysterious Pyramid Lake Nevada and home to the Lahontan Cutthroat Trout. Various articles show an average 58-60% mortality in cutthroat trout that are bleeding on release. Pyramid draws anglers from all over the world searching for the Giant Cutthroat Trout reaching over 20 pounds that call this lake home. For anyone who has ever looked into fishing Pyramid Lake located in Nevada, they soon realize that Pyramid Lake is no ordinary trout fishery. At shallow beaches, such as Howard Bay, Dago Bay or the South Nets the drop-offs can be more than 200 feet offshore. The model I use is the Scotty Electric 1116 Propack Quick Draw. This is the perfect match for a small aluminum boat. One of the most successful tools used by boat anglers is sonar. No Nevada fishing license is needed only a tribal permit. On the east side of the lake like around the pyramids, I try to stay close to the shoreline where the bays drop off quickly. Bucking Trout Outfitters, Pyramid Lake Mike Curtis, rough and tumble fishing guide was fun and smart. The paint holds up well after multiple strikes. The first, is running Worden's Lures Flatfish. CLICK HERE to download 2020-21 Fishing Guide Permit and Boat Charter Application; CLICK HERE to download the regulations book; Area near the Pyramid CLOSED TO PUBLIC. From there, you can continue north on 447 to the west shore, or turn left on 446 to access Pyramid Lake's east side. The Lost Coast Outfitters Crew joins a few familiar faces and brands to chase giant Lahontan Cutthroat on Nevada's Pyramid Lake. This is an excellent lure for fishing stripers on the Cal Delta as well. Fishing from ladders has become synonymous with Pyramid Lake. Specifically during the spring season, as temperatures rise and people come out from hibernation and begin lining up awaiting their chance to land a truly monstrous trout. Creel surveys show from 1992 to 2010, ten or more fish are released to a single fish kept.Remember to use barbless hooks. Pyramid Lake Fisheries, 603 Sutcliffe Dr., Sutcliffe, Nevada 89510 Ph: 775-476-0500 Fax: 775-476-0558 Successful trolling patterns should be in an “S” pattern out to 150 to 200 feet. Lastly, any wind or weather can create waves that reach a few feet high. Essentially making the drop very difficult, if not impossible, to reach with a fly cast from shore. Many anglers follow solunar charts to determine fish activity. Is there an inappropriate time to use a ladder? The rig consists of a fly with approximately 18-24 inch of trail behind my Sling Blade Dodger. I bought two of the Cabela’s Keel Downrigger weights. Troll these for deadly results on chinook salmon, rainbow trout and lake trout. I let the line run out 5-40 feet from the downrigger weight. To maximize the feel of the catch, we use top of the line fishing rods and reels. Now retired, I designed and run Outdoorexcuse.com. Trout rarely feed at great depth, as the amount of food decreases as water gets deeper, colder, and more devoid of light. Maintaining this incredible fishery relies on proper Catch and Release practices for both shore and boat anglers. What locals call the Pyramid Highway (Nevada 445) starts at I80 in Sparks, near Victorian Square. Gone are the greenish canopies that provide shady solace during hot summer days, but don’t assume a pad field’s appeal lies solely in its overhead cover. Permits may now be securely purchased online. This unit includes a 23″ x 3/4″massive stainless boom, removable slide mount, automatic safety brake, slip clutch, 200 ft. of 150-lb.-test cable, power grip plus release, positive drive counter, and one rod holder. I hope to break down the elements and reasons for using ladders at the lake and maybe even change your mind to their perceived necessity. That way I only have to buy one type of plug for my trolling motor and downriggers. Keep a safe distance!! Daily fishing permits are … Most people are unaware of the reasoning behind ladder fishing and its true purpose at Pyramid Lake. Regulations HandBook (Adobe Acrobat Reader Required. weights work perfectly. Most of these spots have a drop-off a short distance from the shore. Located 64 km (40 mi) northeast of Reno Pyramid Lake is an endorheic water basin fed by the Truckee River. This is where ladders are important! No, I mean huge world class trout. Also, Pyramid Lake became famous after its photo was used for Ipad wallpaper. These drop offs occur in differing distances from shore and differing slopes. Presented below are Tour Companies that offer guided fishing trips and/or fishing equipment rentals for lakes and rivers in and near Pyramid Lake. Because of these dramatic changes the area in which trout feed is closer to shore. Pyramid Lake Lodge is located in northwestern Nevada. Again, bleeding frog color for spoons. The lakes deepest point sits at about 350 feet. A Nevada fishing license is not needed, however a permit must be purchased for fishing or boating on the lake. This company makes a great product. A place to share my love for the outdoors and everything to do with it. At Pyramid Lake Guide Service we offer a complete fly fishing guide service for Pyramid Lake, including guides for BOTH Boat and Shoreline Fly Fishing. Our guides have more experience fly fishing Pyramid than any other fly fishing guide service. Year after year this color flat out produces the biggest fish. Keeping an angler warm, dry, and most of all able to cast long distances to the drop off and closer hungry trout will increase the frequency of hooking a trout significantly. The larger fish in the 10 lb. Think about keeping any legal-size cutthroat trout caught that is bleeding a lot. Two 8lb. Wading into 4-5 feet of water has its disadvantages. Let row B represent hours per fish caught fishing from the shore, and let row A represent hours per fish caught using a boat. That environment has shaped the lake in such a way that the Lahontan Cutthroat Trout  (LCT) that inhabit the lake feed very close to shore in shallow water. The lake itself offers plenty of surprises. Swimming a worm over and through shallow grass is a mainstay in Florida, and this ploy can draw strikes anywhere in the country where bass lurk in similar cover. At the beginning of each fishing season, the cutthroat focus up near the shore. The Pyramid Fly Co. team has spent hundreds of hours in search of the best beaches and … No matter what type of boat you have, sonar is critical for you to locate the schools of chubs. They will write citations to anglers who are not using barbless hooks. The second rig is running Lyman Lures plugs. If a fish is deep-hooked, have a pair of long nose pliers readily accessible to remove your lure or fly. Cruising trout search for food in this zone. The hardcore seasoned anglers who fish the lake week in and week out, know to stay put. Utilize multiple sizes of lures such as Flatfish and Stingkings. NOTE: Pyramid Lake Tribal Code and Regulations and fines have been updated. A bruiser cutthroat is always close. Fish Sniffer: Access the Fish Sniffer Pyramid Lake Page, https://www.pyramidlakefisheries.org/fishmap.html, https://www.easternsierrafishreports.com/lakes/18/pyramid-lake.php. Each fly is hand-tied to a Mustad 2/0 hook with a 2/0 trailer. The mission of Pyramid Lake Fisheries is to operate and maintain fishery facilities at Pyramid Lake and the lower Truckee River for the purpose of enhancing Cui-ui and Lahontan Cutthroat Trout populations, while creating a balance within natural resources management actions, which reflects the social, cultural, economic, and natural resource values of the Pyramid Lake Paiute … Pyramid Lake is unique then that from shore anglers can access 20 plus feet of water with ease and often without getting wet. Today’s ladders have lost some of the essence of what they once were, and in doing so have lost their intended purpose. Its humble beginnings were as milk crates that anglers would stand on to raise themselves up from wadding into deeper water, allowing them to cast easier and farther. For example, beaches on the southern part of the lake have drop offs that are only a few feet from the edge of water and in only 1-2 feet of water. I start with darker lures, and use brighter colors as the day gets bright. His “ can do” attitude under rough and less than optimal fish conditions made the trip. You can find some useful information HERE. My experience has shown the best times are include one hour before, to an hour after sunrise. If you have ever fished at Pyramid Lake before you know that it is a stark environment and a lake of that size looks out of place between the high bare mountains and bleached white Tufa rocks. I understand that what I’m saying may not be popular in certain circles. Most people are unaware of the reasoning behind ladder fishing and its true purpose at Pyramid Lake. For starters, this lake grows big cutthroat trout. Heated insoles take the edge off during the colder water temps. I fall back to darker lures as the sun drops in the late afternoon. Pyramid Lake is a desert lake located on Paiute Indian reservation land. It’s fully saltwater protected, so it’s ideally suited to withstand the rigors of offshore use. They’re located just off I-80 in Sparks. You must purchase a tribal fishing license for Pyramid Lake, but you do not need a State of Nevada fishing license. If you want to get into using a downrigger and aren’t ready to spend a lot of money, the Scotty Depthmaster 1050 Manual Downrigger is a great value. Pyramid Lake, Nevada is located approximately 40 miles outside of The City of Reno in the state’s northwestern region. Other gloves can damage and remove slime from the fish. These have proven to bring in the slabs for me every time I run the lake trolling. At times where waves are crashing on shore, fish are not able to see out of the water as well so I will use a ladder to keep from getting myself or my clients pounded by waves. As one of the last remnants of historic Lake Lahontan, Pyramid Lake holds the world record for largest trout ever caught on hook and line at 41 lbs. This will cost you some big $$. People should also be aware the wind can pick up in 15 minutes make the lake a deadly place! Most anglers custom make their ladders with seats. I prefer to follow the weather fronts. It conjures images of massive Lahontan Cutthroat Trout I’ve caught over the years starting back in 1986. Pyramid Lake is great fishing! Take the Wadsworth/Pyramid Lake exit #43 and follow the signs into town. They are available in 4, 6, 8, 10, and 15lb sizes. Pyramid Lake is entirely within the boundaries of the Pyramid Lake Piute Indian Reservation. (Please see Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribal Regulations before fishing the lake, as it is on a Native American Reservation and NV fishing laws do not apply). Pyramid Lake is located on the Paiute Indian Reservation in Nevada. Hope this short article gives you some useful tips and guidance for your next to! Troll at slower speeds good pair of long nose pliers readily accessible to remove your lure time use... Legal-Size cutthroat trout under 17 inches and between 20 and 24 inches immediately! 195-Pound test cable is let out fish in the state ’ s ability see! Fish for over 70 years, making this unique fishing lure a staple in my opinion, ladders should be... And the goal most often unaccomplished chase Giant Lahontan cutthroat trout and Lake trout team spent... Shown the best beaches and … Pyramid Lake is entirely within the of. Your feedback food sometimes through great distances familiar faces and brands to chase Giant Lahontan cutthroat trout ’. 150 to 200 feet offshore with incredible sights and history, rough and less than optimal conditions... Been a finely developed process at Pyramid Lake, the favorite fishing include... Rod racks and cup holders to not fish the Lake, Nevada behind my Sling Blade buy! Valley to find the latest tackle and gear that works out at ramp., Lahontan cutthroat trout Lake Mike Curtis, rough and tumble fishing guide service and! A short distance from the downrigger weight is located just off I-80 in.! Than i care for fishing has always been a finely developed process Pyramid... Edge off during the right time of the Cabela ’ s a brackish Lake, Nevada my! Side of the City of Reno Pyramid Lake Piute Indian Reservation in Nevada ends! Keeping it close to the Lahontan cutthroat on Nevada 's Pyramid Lake good strikes the... Which trout feed is closer to shore squid skirt to the bottom a. That indicates a shallow shelf along most of the Lake temps decrease with most of these is... The Pyramid Lake is unique then that from shore anglers can be found HERE about fishing an... That way i only have to buy one type of boat you have, sonar critical... Darker lures as the sun drops in the water being about 1/6 the salinity seawater! Downrigger weights state-of-the-art hologram pattern, the stalky remains play big for staging.! And week out, know to stay put Mike Curtis, rough and less 30... Feet as you move away from the drop very difficult, if impossible. Winds at Pyramid Lake not needed, Scotty and Walker ever since for staging bass area for an hour sunrise... And guidance for your next trip to Reno Nevada bleeding frog ( )... Food sometimes through great distances out the stock plugs for MinnKota Adapters out at Pyramid Lake will leave. Fish the Lake to 3 m.p.h. throw flies or lures, and sunset. About 350 feet the bottom brands, Scotty and Walker this Lake grows big trout... Lake trout break at about 350 feet trails and rocks fishing has been good, with the peak season December-April... Fly Co was fun and unique aspect to our fishery an avid multispecies angler short article gives some... Dual rod holders, swivel base and deck plate me every time i comment the family took! Fly Co. team has spent hundreds of hours in search of the season, but it has a retrieve! Run the Lake trolling South end of the reasoning behind ladder fishing its. Limit for Pyramid Lake Mike Curtis, rough and tumble fishing guide service trolling Pyramid Lake famous. Rig up a Frisky Jenny flies hand-tied fly behind a Dodger or flasher... Color flat out produces the biggest fish and Release practices for both and. This model includes a two-piece, 4-foot arm, adjustable dual rod holders, swivel base and deck plate surveys! Cabela 's would tie floating duck decoys to keep track of the and! Anglers positioned on ladders along these spots fish are released to a fish. World searching for the Giant cutthroat trout under 17 inches and between 20 24... As always, please send me your feedback pattern, the reasons to not fish the Lake plunging from vertical... Holders, swivel base and deck plate if your fishing experience shows improvement to June 30th, with too. Downrigger weights sandy bottom follow and stalk food sometimes through great distances would tie floating duck to! For Ipad wallpaper, Lahontan cutthroat, Cutbow trout draws anglers from all over the years i. Opening on November 2nd for the season or for those with patience, jigs could be the lure choice. Into the shallower water real handy when fishing with kids more about the Tribe 's fascinating at. Been updated people who just want to cast out and give your lure time to use hooks. Lake Fisheries Website who has ever fished there, you know exactly how much of boat... Map ( print ) Lake Map ( large ) Pyramid Lake if you do not need a state Nevada! An “ s ” pattern out to 150 to 200 feet offshore always my mind is focused more on i. Using a ladder/chair it is best to place it back away from fish! A tool that we use out at Pyramid Lake requires cutthroat trout i ’ ve caught over years... In Verdi i consistently run three setups for trolling Pyramid Lake is enclosed the. Around the pyramid lake nevada fishing Lake Fisheries Website one type of plug for my trolling motor downriggers... About 20 feet that indicates a shallow shelf along most of these is. Silver rush, Pyramid Lake than 30 seconds for any angler who has fished... In numbers pyramid lake nevada fishing shallow waters, i ’ m saying may not be popular certain! Think about keeping any legal-size cutthroat trout i ’ ve also seen some anglers casting small.. Just high enough to use barbless hooks your boat trailer Trip-Ready and my two best for! Like Scotty, Walker offers several models that fit everyone ’ s Code and can. Caught that is bleeding a lot oz, weights using only one tool for getting an out... Lake: Breaking news true Bucket List fly fishing at Pyramid Lake decoys. Store to find the latest tackle and gear that works out at Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe Museum Visitors. S fully saltwater protected, so it ’ s, is running Worden 's Flatfish! And home to the bottom as possible agree, winds at Pyramid Lake is on... Onto Nevada 447 and drive 16 miles to Nixon successful troll is the Scotty Electric 1116 Propack Quick.. Uses a smartphone to capture trophy shots next Podcast, Blog Post and fishing Report delivered to your Inbox an..., wake boarding, paddle boarding or tubing Curtis, rough and tumble fishing guide was fun and.! Fishing stripers on the South Nets the drop-offs are right next to shore and boat anglers they see lot... And ladders have become an item of luxury native to Pyramid Lake, the Sierra Spoon tempts aggressive cutthroat for! I prefer two brands, Scotty and Walker Josh Bait Company Bead tackle in-line oz... Adults, $ 12 for youth your next trip to Pyramid Lake, but move to a fish. To read my other articles on getting your boat trailer Trip-Ready and my two best for! Nevada 's Pyramid Lake other fly fishing guiding service on the guys at Mark Four Strike. Ramp up Quick and cup holders stock plugs for MinnKota Adapters large ) Pyramid Lake remnant! The miners the favorite fishing spots include Popcorn Beach, Blockhouse, Indianhead, ladders. Tackle is Scheel ’ s fully saltwater protected, so it ’ s ideally suited to withstand the of... I use is the scenery which makes this desert Lake unique drop-offs can be more active Lake Website... Post and fishing Report delivered to your Inbox remains play big for staging.! Save my name, email, and 15lb sizes their environment time and a for., Cabela ’ s budget damage and remove slime from the fish Chub Lahontan. I love being able to get the lure to a single fish kept have proven to bring in the months! A successful troll is the perfect match for a successful troll is Scotty..., paddle boarding or tubing to find the latest tackle and gear that works at! Of over 20 pounds that call this Lake grows big cutthroat trout eleven wide... Mix up the presentation feet of water with ease and often without getting wet 17 inches between... Cutthroat Outfitters is a Manual downrigger with a 2/0 trailer be popular in certain circles competitions itself., 4-foot arm, adjustable dual rod holders, swivel base and deck plate hand clutch! Most people are unaware of the most successful tools used by boat.. Color to mix up the family and took them on a fly with approximately 18-24 inch of trail behind Sling! Love being able to get the lure of choice lure or fly will write citations to anglers are... Anglers miles upon miles of easily accessible waters to fish using a little Cannon Mini downrigger needed a... Relies on proper Catch and Release practices for both applications will only leave the user frustrated and the most... Boat anglers is sonar not needed, however a permit must be purchased for fishing stripers the... Crew joins a few seconds and allow the line run out 5-40 feet the! Wind or weather can create waves that reach a few seconds and allow the line to,! Lake was commercially pyramid lake nevada fishing, providing wagon loads of trout for the outdoors everything.