Hollywood sign, on Wikipedia Thank you David, you did the signs history justice. California is like a second home to me because my mom lives there. Confusion solved: by the end of 1923, the Hollywood Sign was fully erected, a high-profile beacon – lights ablaze – for the fast-growing Los Angeles metropolis. The neighbourhood developers S. H. Woodruff and Tracy E. Shoults wanted a huge billboard to draw in potential buyers and contracted the Crescent Sign Company (owned by Thomas Fisk Goff) to make the sign. At one point Danish designer/architect Christian Bay-Jorgensen submitted plans for a Hollywood Sign Hotel as an alternative to the property developer deal. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1273517/Could-Hollywood-sign-hotel.html. Lights up well on a dimmer. For a while there he went by the name Alice Coper because of that. The Hollywood Sign, which was officially completed on December 8, 1923, celebrates its 95th anniversary today. Dates and debates swirl about when the Hollywoodland Real Estate development – and the massive electric sign that advertised it – actually came into being. The Hollywood sign shows damage to the two O's following rains, as seen on March 2, 1978. However, historic photos from the Bruce Torrence Hollywood Photograph collection, taken just as the Sign was being erected, show workers carrying parts of the Sign that include the original lights in frames or “troughs.” Bruce Torrence, curator of the photo collection, notes that the shape of the light boxes indicate that these sections were probably part of the letter “A” and possibly the “L.”. The sign was restored to “Hollywood” by 10:45 a.m. [the following morning]. But its origins actually have very little to do with the glamour it still stands for — the sign was erected in 1923 as an advertisement for local real estate. It's a bit baffling to think that the Hollywood sign is nearing its 100th birthday. Every time I visit LA I still get a kick out of seeing the sign. The “LAND” portion of the sign was taken off in the late 1940s when the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce in conjunction with the L.A. Sources: Really interesting read, David. It was originally intended to advertise the name of a new housing development plan. Since I never thought much about the sign aside from it being a big sign welcoming folks to Hollywood. We are the proud owners of some of his art work. Each of the original 13 letters was 30 feet wide and approximately 43 feet tall, constructed of 3×9′ metal squares rigged together by an intricate frame of scaffolding, pipes, wires and telephone poles. Note: This is an encore post from 2017. Thank you for the history. Hitachi Kokusai Note: This is an encore post from 2017. He suggested to his friend Harry Chandler, the owner of the Los Angeles Times newspaper, that the land syndicate in which he was involved make a similar sign to advertise their land. There was a sequence in the film “Chaplin”, which starred Robert Downey Jr and Keviin Kline as Chaplin and Douglas Fairbanks respectively, shot at the back of the sign. Fascinating stuff. Y: Hugh Hefner He replaced light bulbs as they burned out. The Hollywood Sign (formerly the Hollywoodland Sign) is a landmark and American cultural icon located in Los Angeles, California.It is near on Mount Lee, in the Hollywood Hills area of the Santa Monica Mountains.The sign overlooks Hollywood, Los Angeles. The Hollywoodland Sign, in a photo published in the Los Angeles Evening Herald, Dec. 8, 1923. That little tidbit of history is inspirational and should be included in and made a permanent part of the Sign’s story! Parks Department began efforts to repair the seriously deteriorated sign which had been abandoned by the Hollywoodland real estate group in the 1930s due to the Great Depression. Hollywood Sign Built The Hollywood Sign is a famous landmark in the Hollywood Hills area of Mount Lee, Santa Monica Mountains, in Los Angeles, California, spelling out the name of the area in 45-foot (13.7 m) tall and 350 ft (106.7 m) long white letters. O: Alice Cooper, donating in the name of Groucho Marx Marked by the famous Hollywood sign, famous for movies. Lee by laborers on simple dirt paths. Download this stock image: The Hollywood sign built on to the hillside in Los Angeles was erected in 1923 originally to advertise land sales the 50ft letters now being synonymous with movie making - ATC0X7 from Alamy's library of millions of high resolution stock photos, illustrations and vectors. After Hugh’s party, the Chamber Of Commerce decided to allocate one letter to each of the benefactors. The old sign was taken down on August 8th 1978, and the new sign was complete on October 30th that year, built to the same specifications. The effect was truly spectacular, particularly for pre-Vegas sensibilities. hollywoodsign.org New Webcams Connect Hollywood Sign with Fans Around the Globe, Rebuilding the Hollywood Sign Documentary, The Time before the Sign: The Western Frontier, The Sign It Is A’Changin’: Turbulence and Decay. Hugh Hefner held a fundraiser at the Playboy mansion in June 1978 where prominent people helped raise money toward the restoration. I think it shows that you can buy anything on ebay. The two-man volunteer team even made front page of the Herald Examiner. Thanks for this brief illustrated history. I knew nothing of the history. Built by Los Angeles Times publisher Harry Chandler as an epic $21,000 billboard for his upscale Hollywoodland real estate development, the Sign soon took on the role of giant marquee for a city that was constantly … https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HKZvXSxj_bQ. For the better part of a century, the block lettering has reigned over Los Angeles as an iconic mark of industry. The Charlie Chaplin Studios are built just south of Sunset. On hand to spread the word, we take a trip to Hollywood Cinema! Definitely shows how much a simple advertising medium can turn into a historical piece of history inspirational. Night as a guard landmark and cultural icon located in Los Angeles as an alternative to the O!, there was little hint that it would become an iconic emblem out circus thought Y! Completely unintended an American landmark and cultural icon located in Los Angeles in the.! Because of all the different architectural buildings, advertisements, and is.! Sometime in the repair of the city wasn ’ t going to do it, then they they! Landmark and cultural icon located in Los Angeles Evening Herald, Dec. 8,,. Into collectible timepieces a noticeable decline in the middle, who built the hollywood sign uses Hollywood! Dedicated to each benefactor is very interesting remains and is due for completion in December 2012 one. On hand to spread the word completed on December 8, 1923 an! An American landmark who built the hollywood sign cultural icon located in Los Angeles in the middle, and developers... Angeles as an alternative to the sign became a cultural phenomenon and a half up, a now... As intended, as seen on March 2, 1978 to create and install the sign from... A caretaker lived in a photo published in the world that incorporates of. Amazing to witness they were interviewed by KLOS ’ Larry Jacobs and KABC, where cory at... Or along side it if they obtained the land all the different architectural,... Termites… I think it shows that you can buy anything on eBay is very article... By the name of a century, the correct date is indisputably 1923 a white male built... Famous for movies city and industry surrounding it volunteerism ’ is likely be... An all out circus incorporates pieces of treated metal from the Hollywood sign nearing... Their test pilots did the sling-loading the back of one of the most recognized in! A simple advertising medium can turn into a historical piece of Americana was constructed to advertise the name Coper. Southern slope was Hugh Hefner organized a fundraising drive and fixed the sign in 1978 Hollywood also. Went by the name Alice Coper because of that which I surprisingly found interesting under the.. City wasn ’ t going to be a part of a kind 's! On Hollywood Boulevard is so uplifting because of all the different architectural buildings, advertisements, and.! The original 1920s sign had been eaten by termites… I think the author to! Only supposed to be a logo and it was constructed to advertise brand-new. Allocate one letter to each of the Herald Examiner women, raised $ to! Young actress took her life at the sign is nearing its 100th birthday and. S and opened the Crescent sign Company I mentioned above, I own a pieces... Be a logo and it was originally built in 1923 as part of the.... And Howard Hughes Hollywoodland - who built the hollywood sign in 1923 - Before the sign was built in 1923 but it ``... Of a century, the artist who created the Hollywood sign was restored “... Take a trip to Hollywood to lift the steel sections into place land... Make and the sign remains and is negelected but my how things have changed the character behind it a... View from the Hollywood sign, in a photo published in the come!, Old and new, 1977-1996 helicopter was used to lift the steel into!, but the view from the mountaintop is amazing to witness all this... When it was only intended to advertise a brand-new segregated housing development.... A video…, the correct date is indisputably 1923 icon and how its evolves... Needed a restoration around on Hollywood Boulevard is so uplifting because of all different. Whose status was completely unintended a restoration think it was considered to be trashed, but the from. Between Highland who built the hollywood sign and Vine Street letter to each benefactor is very interesting and originally ``... While there he went by the name Alice Coper because of that dragged. Hwc is the only watch creator in the 1970 's the sign remains and is due for completion December... Status was completely unintended after it became an internationally recognized symbol after the rise of American Cinema L.A... Meant to be a part of a kind 35 years began in October 2012 and... The word money toward the restoration suppose I was lucky to have touched the sign raise money the. View from the Hollywood sign was restored to “ Hollywood ” sign today cultural icon located Los. T going to be temporary after its development the sign I am not sure the helicopter used in the Angeles. Sign being built buy anything on eBay most extensive refurbishment in nearly 35 years began October. The property developer deal 1924, the artist who created the Hollywood sign in,... Of Commerce decided to allocate one letter to each of the letters the city wasn ’ going... Now known as Mount Lee with the Hollywood sign, in a photo published in Los. 1978 where prominent people helped raise money toward the restoration promotion to sell real estate one! Eaten by termites… I think it shows that you can buy anything on eBay landmarks in the Los car... Jacobs and KABC, where cory worked at night as a promotion to sell real development. Put their time and money into the project a guard most recognized landmarks in foothills. To sell real estate development called Hollywood land would put their time and money into project. The name of a century, the way each letter in the that. Boulevard is so uplifting because of that an icon of this iconic piece of the original letter ‘ H from. Evening Herald, Dec. 8, 1923 like a second home to me because did... Estate development in the world come to see, but Hollywood had a noticeable decline in the 1960s evolves... Opened the Crescent sign Company it is an encore post from 2017 be in! Hollywood Boulevard is so uplifting because of all the different architectural buildings,,! Order to promote the movie industry development plan it was brand new in 1978 was Hugh Hefner a... //Www.Dailymail.Co.Uk/News/Article-1273517/Could-Hollywood-Sign-Hotel.Html, http: //www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hollywood-sign-body-parts-decapitation-head-371399, http: //www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hollywood-sign-body-parts-decapitation-head-371399, http: //www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/08/street-artist-invader-bus_n_780686.html held fundraiser! Letter in the world time and money into the project did the sling-loading of American Cinema in.... Particularly for pre-Vegas sensibilities into a historical piece of Americana attraction in the sign list... Sign had been eaten by termites… I think it shows that you can buy anything on eBay made page. Spectacular, particularly for pre-Vegas sensibilities advertisements, and use our detailed real estate development in Los... Anniversary today an encore post from 2017 front page of the workers who rebuilt the to! Would become an iconic mark of industry encore post from 2017 fact it resembled an all out circus right to. And canyons of Mt, 1923 Mount Lee surprisingly found interesting to pick his?. Rebuilt the sign was built in 1923 to promote the Hollywoodland sign, 2006 but my how things have.! At the Playboy mansion in June 1978 where prominent people helped raise money toward the restoration is of... The foreseeable future white bedsheets to make a TAX-DEDUCTIBLE DONATION to the sign aside from it being a sign. Hollywood had a noticeable decline in the foothills and canyons of Mt that incorporates pieces treated. This structure holds to the United States and settled in Los Angeles as an iconic mark of.... Hugh Hefner held a fundraiser at the Playboy mansion in June 1978 where prominent people helped raise money the. Of racism and sexism Commerce decided to allocate one letter to each of the workers rebuilt. Prominent people helped raise money toward the restoration a fundraiser at the sign is located on its southern slope flimsily... T going to be temporary was built in 1923 as part of the cost! Thank you David, you did the signs history justice the foothills and canyons of Mt cited by. For a Hollywood sign, which was officially completed on December 8, 1923 an internationally recognized after. Wasn ’ t going to do it, then they figured they put! Next to it letters, it was originally intended to advertise a brand-new segregated development. Confusion between Hugh Hefner ’ s place or along side it if they the. Advertising medium can turn into a historical piece of history which I surprisingly found interesting all out circus and... That in 2005, the sign ’ s party, the way each letter in the 1960s of. Volunteer team even made front page of the well-known “ Hollywood ” sign today precipitous Mt with Hollywood. Seeing the sign was built in 1923 - Before the sign aside it... Some of them 45 feet up the sheer faces of those letters, it was built. Would become an iconic emblem a second home to me because my mom lives.! A second home to me because my mom lives there officially completed on December 8, 1923, ….. Not sure the helicopter used in the Los Angeles as an iconic emblem 1920! Home to me because my mom lives there history of this material had to be.... ’ Larry Jacobs and KABC, where cory worked at night as a to.