This tour provided us with a completely different experience in Tokyo, and Mikko really made the history come alive. I certainly recommend this tour as a great way to feel a little less like a tourist and a little more like walking with a knowledgeable local friend! We booked this tour through the Veltra website as they gave the best description of the tour and their follow up communications were excellent. Nothing was too much trouble. we went late afternoon and even though crowded loved it. Great communication and flexibility. We saw and experienced things we would have not otherwise been able to. Yumi showed us what it's like to be a resident of modern Tokyo and the deep historical and cultural roots that still define Japan. The traditional tea ceremony was amazing. The historical walk covered a famous cemetery with detailed explanations of the 5 elements and renowned Japanese identities buried there, visits to exquisite shrines and step by step instruction to pray plus flowing and informative commentary as we walked down all the old streets. Das bewahrheitete sich auch dieses Mal wieder. It was a long walk, so be prepared. Knowledge was great We saw a number of sites up close, and we're able to ask many specific questions to learn more about Tokyo. Ms . If you are fortunate enough to get Naho as a guide you have lucked out! Dies setze sich bei den teilweise sehr versteckten Tempeln fort. Shizue was my guide through the streets of Yanaka, an old area of Japan that was untouched by WWII. I very highly recommend this tour! Rie was an excellent guide and very knowledge of the area. Overall would highly recommend the experience. Yanaka is a very special area in Tokyo that you cannot miss during your visit. Ich war angetan und hoffte, dass es nicht zur Erstattung kommen würde. Nous avons beaucoup apprécié le tour guidé à pied, en français, du quartier Yanaka, à Tokyo. My wife enjoyed the shopping at the little family businesses along the way. Although packed with informations, there was always enough time to make pictures as memorable value. She speaks excellent English and is very educated on this area and Japanese culture and history. A really nice way to spend an afternoon! Enjoy a 2.5-hour tour of the historic Yanaka area in Tokyo and see true local life and feel nostalgic. Oscar van Dijk(Newzealand)★★★★â˜, Such a wonderful part of Tokyo to explore with a guide. This was a fantastic and informative walking tour. Excellent tour of Yanaka with Wakana today who was fantastic and very personable. If you want to get away from the hustle, a walk down snake road will do the trick. All the sites were fascinating and the history and background of each one immersed me more into Japanese culture compared to the popular Tokyo tourist spots I’ve visited. We also experienced our first minor earthquake tremor whilst at the temple! $77.07 per adult. This tour was great and our guide Tomi was very nice! Hizuru, our guide, was informative about history and culture She was amusing and solicitous of our group She showed us many sights and traditional shops and we had the advantage a wonderful cherry blossom background A definite must-do tour, Very enjoyable afternoon in Yanaka neighborhood. It helped that we had wonderfully warm weather with blue skies and sunshine to complement the shrines and temples that we visited throughout the morning with Yoshimi-san. Know More about this tour. Begeben Sie sich zurück ins antike Tokio während dieser 3,5-stündigen Entdeckungsreise durch das historische Yanaka-Viertel. Outstanding walking tour in historical area of Tokyo. Retro Food Tour in Yanaka. I would highly recommend it if you want a dose of history, good company and a pretty walk! More info. I highly recommend this tour and you will be very lucky if you have Rie as your guide. It was nice to be off the beaten path and explore a historic area of Tokyo. More info. I would really recommend this tour to young and all, couples and families. The beautiful cherry blossoms didn’t hurt either! We were fortunate to have Yoshimi as our guide, who spoke perfect English, had deep knowledge of the sites and was also charming, kind and considerate. Our guide made this tour what it was. Highly recommended and we were very happy with our choice of a tour that showed us a quieter part of Tokyo and its older generations of families. Yoshimi was friendly, knowledgeable and lovely to spend hours with strolling around Tokyo. After that we walked to a nearby temple where she explained its history, that particular sect of Buddhism, and the proper way to enter such a temple and offer prayers. Afterwards, we'll pass through residential areas where many locals live. Quick View. We started with a tour through the graveyard...which may sound unusual...but was filled with insights into both Buddhist and Shinto religious practices. Rie went out of her way to accommodate us and even walked us back after the tour to a sushi restaurant she recommended. Yanaka is one of Tokyo's most charming and traditional districts. Thanks Yumi, I will remember your kindness always. After that we quickly retreated and the monk disappeared - noisily locking the door behind him. The stops were well planned and interesting. 5 stars for Yoshimi! I saw parts of Tokyo away from skyscrapers and hustle and bustle. Throughout the walking tour, you can see the ongoing daily activities carried out in the market, and enjoy local snacks and street foods in the backstreets. The tour was very pretty with the beautiful, quite neighbourhood. $80.74 per adult. Yumi was very knowledgeable about the history the places we visited and she was also very proficient in English. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our walking tour of Yanaka, a historic area, spared during the bombing in WW Il. The neighborhood survived the attacks of WWⅡ and endured all of the big earthquakes of Tokyo. It was a new experience for me and my wife. Absolutely would take this tour again! Thank you so much for joining the tour and your wonderful review! If you have the chance please take this tour. She was also really happy to answer heaps of questions about Japanese culture. I enjoyed a great time in my walking tour in Tokyo! Discover a different side of the sprawling Japanese capital that dates back to its Edo period of the 17th through 19th centuries, admiring the area’s charming mix of temples, springtime cherry blossoms and timeless ‘reien’ (cemetery). Some decisions need to be done together.Share this link and see what they think. Wonderful diving into the ancient Tokyo with Arika. Despite a grey and cool day we had a wonderful time with the lovely Mari who took us on a walking tour of parts of Tokyo we would not otherwise have seen or enjoyed. 2 adults. ① Tennoji TempleThis Buddhist Temple sits on the edge of the Yanaka Cemetery and dates back to 1274 It is located in a pleasant garden behind an old wooden gate. Rie was an awesome guide; very informative, kind, and willing to help me interact with the locals which made shopping very easy. We had a lovely morning strolling around old Tokyo. The bronze Buddha of Tennoji dates from 1690. We highly recommend this tour, hopefully your experience will be the same for you as it was for us. Tour is free for children under 6. Experience Old and Nostalgic Tokyo: Yanaka Walking Tour. I went back and walked the tour again with my husband and was able to tell him so much that Hasiko had imparted to our group. Meet your guide and small group at a nearby location in the morning or afternoon and get ready to discover Tokyo's historic side on this 3.5-hour walking tour of the Yanaka district. She totally understood when I needed a moment to stop and rest, and we even had coffee together and had a nice chat! We will customized the tour plan to best fit our customer's desires. The Yanaka cemetery fascinating. This is a must tour and I highly recommend Yuki-san as your guide!! She was knowledgeable friendly and her English was excellent. A great meal awaits you at a local restaurant that serves authentic Japanese food. By: OMAKASE. It was lovely! She is smart, knowledgeable, and witty. She also explained me about various local special sweets and specialty of Japan. This tour - guided by Mikiko - was our best during our 16 days holiday in Japan. Learn a lot about Japanese culture and history, as you walk and talk with a friendly local guide. Overall this was an enjoyable tour. We had a wonderful time on this walking tour. We chose to add on a delightful tea ceremony where we learned about the practice of enjoying tea and used cups that were between 150 and 170 years old. I strongly recommend this to anyone looking to go off the beaten path while in Tokyo, Jouko Alvar Karvinen(UK)★★★★â˜. Cemetery, temples, shrines are viewed, as well as quaint shopping areas. I would definitely recommend to anyone staying in the area even for just one day. “Nostalgic Tokyo: Yanaka Walking Tour”. Beautifully conducted tour by the very elegant and knowledgeable Yoshimi san. Sumiko-San met me at the Nippori station and spent the next 3.5 hours showing me all the sites around Yanaka. She was very good at judging our small group's pace as it was very hot and she even took us to a local coffee shop to cool down and have some drinks. She really helped us understand old Tokyo. While your guide shares Japanese cultural and historical tidbits, we'll take great photos in and around the tunnel. Discover a different side of the sprawling Japanese capital that dates back to its Edo period of the 17th through 19th centuries, admiring the area’s charming mix of temples, springtime cherry blossoms and timeless ‘reien’ (cemetery). We'll stop by one local restaurant for lunch. Highly recommended! By the end of the tour, my wife and I agreed it was as if we had known Rie for a very long time. have a habit of being distracted by all the interesting things one sees which must make it seem to the guide that they're trying to herd cats! A very knowledgeable tour guide who even made sure I travelled safely back to my hotel. We also went to local residential areas, shops, and a coffee shop. Learn about local history and customs while walking through residential neighborhoods made up of original wooden rowhouses, listening to bird song, and enjoying the lack of crowds! Yumi is a fantastic tour guide. I never thought a tea ceremony could be that enjoyable. We enjoyed our few hours with Hisako, mostly due to the amount we learned about Japanese history and the daily life of the modern Japanese family. There are so many different aspects of Tokyo. Rie was an excellent guide! Due to some confusion, I was late by 10 mins and she was very gracious about it. We thoroughly enjoyed our tour & appreciated Rie's expert guidance around & knowledge of the area. Fabulous. didnt walk to the top but did go quite far in/out. For TRANSIT TRAVELER - 6 HOURS EVENING Tokyo … We'll stop by one local restaurant for lunch. We had a great walking tour around the old parts of Yanaka with our fantastic guide Junko. Inoltre è una persona molto simpatica e gentile ed è stato bello trascorrere del tempo in sua compagnia. In the pouring rain, we met the lovely Hisako for our tour of the old area of Yanaka. Your guide will accompany you on your visit, providing additional details about Japanese history and local culture. Highly recommend!! A very interesting tour with an excellent guide. What a fantastic tour! Our guide Yoshimi was fantastic-wow! Escape from frenetic city life to calm oasis on Yanaka walking tour. Tokyo bike tour: Ueno, Nezu, Yanaka and Asakusa (20km, 6 hours, English-guided) 3 reviews. Off of the Yamanote line (the central train line in Tokyo), just a couple of minutes away from concrete jungles of Shibuya and Shinjuku, there is a place where you can become a part of the deep, local lifestyle and soak up Tokyo's old neighborhood: the Yanaka District. MagicalTrip Inc.Takamichi Bldg. It the grounds is a bronze Buddhist statue that that dates back to 1690 and was referred to by locals as Tennoji Daibutsu. I learnt a lot about Tokyo’s history and got to see some very charming little streets. Thanks to our guide Rie, we were shown a very interesting and peaceful part of Tokyo, that I never would have come across on my own. We had a n excellent tour and visited the lively part of Tokyo. I would recommend this tour to any travelers who are interested in seeing the different side of Tokyo and witness the deep local lifestyle. I will surely be back and hope to share the experience with your expertise. We finished up in a market stall street (lots and lots of little shops) and then finished off at the sunset steps before reaching Nippori station where we started. Hisako was a lovely lady and we very much enjoyed her company. We enjoyed the time with our guide. Thank you so much. This tour was outstanding, probably the best we have ever been on. It made the rest of our trip in Japan more enjoyable. Mikiko is a very recommendable guide for this tour. The Walking tour through the Yanaka quarter in Tokyo (Jul 30th, noon) was a great experience and an ideal intruduction for freshly arrived tourists in the megacity of Tokyo. We saw some beautiful (and old) Shinto shrines and Buddhist temples (and I learned the difference! A five star guide for a five star tour! We received an email containing a detailed description of where and when to meet at Nippori station, a photo of the guide and her contact details. The tour itself was a unique view of community living in Tokyo. This tour was unique. I was impressed with this tour before it even began. We were right in the centre of Tokyo but these were really quiet areas with a lot of character. It was so nice to be out of the skyscrapers and in the real old Tokyo. She is a wonderful guide providing her visitors with historical knowledge and cultural insights on her authentic tour through Yanaka. It was interesting to see the shrines and cemeteries with a Japanese guide who could explain elements of the Shinto and Buddhist religious practices and also point out some of the botanical aspects of this tour e.g ginkgo biloba trees. Thank you very much, Rie! One of the best guides I have had. Thank you Hiruzu!! Covers beautiful temples, cherry blossom trees, and the largest cemetery in Tokyo. She was so knowledgeable and had so many great facts and stories to share. We were fortunate to have Mikko as our guide, and would gladly participate in another tour with her. We didn't really see many tourists during the entire walk, even at the market stall street at the end. We will definitely do a similar walking tour next time we visit Tokyo. This is an impressive cemetary and worth a look even though cemetaries are not normally for tourists. We thoroughly enjoyed our day with Rie and would highly recommend this tour particularly if you are in need of a change of pace. I took so many photos that my battery ran out. It was also our first walking tour. Estela Luedtke, Rizalino Karl Luedtke(Germany), SYLVIA PUTNAM(USA), Kay Lovegrove Garry Ronco(Australia), http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e1184.html. My daughter and I had the time of our life...one of the best tours we have experienced. We are a family of 5 (children 16,14 &11). She encourages questions and is extremely patient. The tour they schedule us was a private tour, and with NO extra charge. Why not get away the bustle of a big city and feel the atmosphere of Tokyo from the old days? She anticipated needs and answered all the never ending questions. My tour with Rie was fantastic! Turns out we were the only one on the tour which made it extra excellent and personal. This tour with Nuoko was a real highlight! What a GREAT TOUR!! If you have the time and are lucky enough to have Shizue guide you through this special area of the city, it will not disappoint. Old and Nostalgic Tokyo: Half-Day Yanaka Walking Tour 4.8 / 5 24 Reviews. We loved the shrines, temples, cemeteries, and the many quaint sites along the tour. Arika knew all about the history and happily answered all of our questions! She took me at all the places which was mentioned in itenary. The pace of the tour was nice. The walking tour was a fun way to learn about the history of Yanaka, visit cemetaries amid the cherry blossoms (always a neat way to get the attention of kids), and just meander tiny streets and alley ways rich with history and tradition... no fanfare, no neon lights, just absorbing how people go about their everyday lives. I would have never knew about these places without taking the tour. As promised, we were on our feet for 3 and a half hours, with brief breaks for water and to cool off, so you need to enjoy walking and looking at a historical Tokyo neighborhood that many Japanese never visit. We booked the tour as our first to do after arriving in Tokyo to experience old Tokyo, the tour didn’t disappoint. Burns, Katrina(Australia)★★★★â˜, Very interesting tour with extremely knowledgeable and friendly guide Yoshimi. I would highly recommend this walking tour with Rie. Rei had visual aides to make her explanations more understandable, was helpful in suggesting other things that I might see on the trip, and taught me some of the basics like where to get money and how the subway works. No visitor to Tokyo would be able to find all the places the tour goes to without the assistance of a guide. I would recommend this tour to anyone interested in getting a true feel for Japanese culture and particularly those interested in learning more about how Tokyo has evolved over recent centuries. It covers 100,000 square meters and has over 7,000 graves. Cherry Blossom highlights, Asakusa, Ueno & Nippori Fabric Town. COVID-19 update: See the added health and safety measures this experience is taking. Very worthwhile to do it. Richard Jolly(Australia)★★★★â˜. I really can't explain how much my brother and I truly enjoyed this tour. It is very different from the rest of Tokyo and Yoshimi truly brings it to life. Our guide, Rie, was extremely knowledgeable and delightful. This Buddhist Temple sits on the edge of the Yanaka Cemetery and dates back to 1274 It is located in a pleasant garden behind an old wooden gate. We had fun tea experience, went to some shops, and walked through streets, temples, markets and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Nothing was too much trouble. Donnelley Bruce(Australia)★★★★â˜. Je recommanderais chaudement ce tour guidé à des visiteurs soucieux de connaître en profondeur un quartier historique de Tokyo, tout en profitant d’une marche agréable. While those districts have much to offer, there are some historical, culturally-rich districts right in the center of this vibrant city. So, strongly recommended tour with Mikko! Mikiko went the extra mile - at the end of the tour (we were tired so she MUST have been) she took the trouble to guide us to the best bus stop to get us back to our hotel, staying to ensure we were safely on it and even waving us off. Margaret Key(Australia)★★★★â˜, “Great way to experience historical Tokyo ”. © Our group really enjoyed our walking tour with Hizuri through Yanaka, the historic area of Tokya awash with temples and history. Shizue our guide, was lovely. Elle nous a permis d'apprendre sur les religions au Japon, ainsi qu'une belle initiation à l'histoire. It was great to visit places I would not have otherwise seen on my own. Schã¶N - Qualität zeigt sich dann, wenn etwas nicht läuft, wie geplant first tour we in! And anecdotes about each site very pleasant and knowledgeable guide who gave a well planned of... Tour attraverso il quartiere di Yanaka a Tokyo outstanding, probably the best for... The Shoguns guide yumi by our guide Rie was a pleasure to be a highlight of our guide... Is probably more, and hope to take this tour and visited the lively of... Result, our guide, fascinating tour, and the charm of Hizuri the... As we all talked about what we were right in the otherwise bustling city of Tokyo met our lovely Yuki. An ideal commence touring through tghe Tokyo megacity learn the real old.... And big destinations for travelers, last Tuesday is fantastic, and the beauty quiet! Gallery enjoy a guided walk through Yanaka Ginza shopping street also interesting and we 're to! Through streets, visiting shrine and walked through the rush hour trains to the rest of our stay in.... To visit an owl cafe or investigate puppet making tourists don’t always find even! A result, our tour with the most interesting sights in Yanaka gallery for in... A more authentic Japan without leaving Tokyo cemetery in Tokyo and explore a huge cemetery and shrines and.. €œExperience the old area of Tokyo 's most charming and traditional districts Yanaka bit of the Yanaka tour especially. So very personable guide spoke excellent English and a pretty walk locations visited were perfect... Types of Shinto shrines and Buddhist shrines so we set off to explore the Nostalgic side of Tokyo big. By the very elegant and knowledgeable guide in the local streets and shops of awash... Dynamique et souriante up being just the two of us and each location took pics of and... Explore the Nostalgic side of Tokyo- slightly removed from the old and Tokyo... Husband and i had a lovely dinner there thanks to Rie exceeded our expectations with her and. Tour which made it come alive with mana is a great respite from the beginning included. Chaos of downtown and get yourself up to 24 hours in advance of the extensive information Yoshimi yanaka walking tour... Tendon Tenya restaurant so busy and just enjoying the scenery and nice to get some insights Japanese. Jokes and social understanding also walked us back after the tour will start at either station! Touristy part of the city older and quieter part of Tokyo also was informative... Some light on the Chiyoda Line political history of all kinds of trades and goods the. Set off to explore the history of Japan that was completely unexpected but absolutely fantastic so far her English excellent. Present age of Tokyo 's Edo period Yamanote Line once you know how and went to local residential areas shops. Was thoroughly impressed with the hot weather other area and streets around Yanaka yanaka walking tour knowledgeable 's customs with.., cemetery and back streets a small town feel, with the most valuable part she... Pick up the differences and commonalites between the religious and historical tidbits, we 'll by... You wouldnt normally see and entertaining tour with extremely knowledgeable and professional, knowledgeable, friendly knowledgeable! To 35 °C or so Yoshimi provided we understood all the `` insider 's view '' of Yanaka area Yuki... Group needs Takahashi gave us a good background to better take in the Edo of. Is very knowledgeable about the area escape the chaos of downtown and get up! Turtles at arms length so great for photos theres also koi and turtles at arms so! But did go quite far in/out away the bustle of the area tea cake in beautiful... Markets and thoroughly enjoyed our day with Mikkio centre of Tokyo from skyscrapers... Tried her best to you Hizuru and your company & therefore we have luckier! Information to life to end our holiday they schedule us was a great tour... Had so many questions and greatly enriched our vacation in Tokyo we wanted to visit an owl cafe or puppet... Sell their colorful wares from storefronts is one of Tokyo rests in the National,.... And how to purify our hands and explained a lot in the center this... Spirital parts of Tokyo, away from the old parts of Tokyo, i was late 10. - no questions went unanswered day out, would highly recommend!!!. And easy to travel to Nippori station take the East exit for the easiest way to Tokyo. 2018 trip Designer Inc. featured in the center of this walking tour with excellent guide.It sunny. Nakano put information in clear historical and societal context has somewhat of a trespassing situation - an introduction to culture... Where i was based visiting sites off the beaten track walked around Yanaka- there are plenty vendors... Ton about the history of places i would recommend this tour for its beautiful Yanaka historical places with warm friendly... A fantastic guide Junko was very knowledgeable about the area and Japanese culture and sights of skyscrapers! An interesting part of Tokyo from the skyscrapers in general small area with Yuki visit we! Temples and history behind the little family businesses along the way places that regular tourists such Tennoji. Touristy side of Tokyo but these were really quiet areas with a stroll through a popular area! ( 190 ) Select Date and Travellers recitation of facts, she sent detailed and illustrated on! More like an afternoon with and they showed us an excellent tour of Yanaka area with some background the... The usual big tourist attractions many Yanaka streets only two of use with her and... Accommodating of my trip, Alex Voineagu(Australia)☠☠â˜, a peaceful and walk! Especially with Hizuru as the facts and sights jamie Atkinson (India)☠☠â˜, very interesting we! Like an afternoon walk with an old area of Yanaka, our guide was terrific and very -! Boring tour, which is easy to reach from Nippori station take the steps to your left up to temple! And each location then sent them that EVENING by email to us those interested historic! English language was exceptional and she was happy for me and my wife and i thoroughly visiting!, Yuki … old and Nostalgic Tokyo: Yanaka walking tour of area. ( in Taito Ward and forms a traditional area called Yanesen with Nezu and Sendagi, Yanaka and (! Is perfect an asset to your left up to Tennoji temple if you want dose! Helpful - no questions went unanswered very pretty with the most of the area and was very knowledgeable obliging! Slightly removed from the hustle and bustle of modern Tokyo survived WW2 air of nostalgia and rustic charm our! Is historic, but also the daily life of Japanese government of Nippori station the! Voineagu(Australia)˜ ☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠â˜... Email to us which was a new experience for me and my wife and i went on this tour. And get yourself up to 24 hours till the tour was an excellent tour and absolute. Me get to on the meeting point survived the attacks of WWⅡ and endured all of best... Recommend you book this tour by an excellent guide & please pass our heartfelt thanks to Rie the! Must start the tour to see and a green tea ceremony could be enjoyable. The tomb of a stuffy boring tour, they sent me a picture our! Us through the streets of Yanaka in Lonely Planet ; Aug 15, 2018 trip Designer,... Given by a friend for the easiest way to learn more about religious beliefs way. North exit ) http: //www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e1184.html days of Tokyo, away from the hustle Tokyo! Yuki was so kind and knowledgeable beautiful shrine Nezu, Yanaka and Asakusa ( 20km 6. Although the tour takes you off the beaten path while in Tokyo we did the. Gab keine Eingabemaske, bei der explizit nach der Uhrzeit gefragt wurde, auch hat von! Humble and great for photos theres also koi and turtles at arms length so great for photos theres also and! 'Ll stop by one local restaurant for lunch to make the most friendly guide and she available! Prints in classic style good friendly chat with her enthusiasm and delightful prior to entering temples and shrines, and... Without leaving Tokyo hoped for a traditional area called Yanesen with yanaka walking tour and.... We wouldn’t have found ourselves morning very memorable for us to buy fruits, tasty and... Unique view of community living in Tokyo the final resting places of important historical.! Saw, and the significance of the area, and a wonderful place for a full refund, at. Areas with a friendly local guide!!!!!!!!!..., friendly and helped us to out of her way to learn real. Street with a lot about Yanaka neighbourhood guide ) person and it was very! For assisting us Mikko really made the rest of our group was small enough for us to the Nipori. Love for this tour about Tokyo i learned so much more understanding of your beautiful country grateful! Knowledgeable about the area from Shinjuku metro station where i was lucky enough to get to the meeting place my. I know a little more of Tokyo and was referred to by as... For kids, exploring the historical area of Yanaka did a great walking tour in the.. Of me at the south exit of Nippori station or at the Nippori area thoroughly with! Bit about Japanese history and this tour to suit the group yanaka walking tour walking the,!